10 Steps to Hearing God’s Voice
The Lord’s Prayer Matthew 6:9-13
- Praise Matthew 6:9 “Our Father who art in heaven hallowed by thy name” Begin recognizing God for who he is and worship him.
- Submit yourself to God /Lay down own imagination Matthew 6:10 “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven”Your will not mine.Die to your own imaginations, desires and burdens for what you feel you should pray “Proverbs 3:5,6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.” Isaiah 55:8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.” Acknowledge you cannot pray without direction from the Lord through the Spirit of God. Ask God to utterly control you by his Spirit to speak to you. Romans 8:26, “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.” Depth of prayer that is birthing and when heaven touches earth.
- Make your requests known to God. Matthew 6:11 “Give us this day our daily bread…” Philippians 4:6-7 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Pure Heart Matthew 6:12“forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors…” (Ask Holy Spirit to reveal any unconfessed sins. (Psalm 51:10-17 create in me a clean heart oh God and renew a right spirit within me.) Make things right with others and God.
- Guard your heart Matthew 6:13 “Lead us not into temptation…” Proverbs 4:23 “Guard your heart for out of it flow the issues of life.” Jeremiah 17:9-10 “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve.”
- Spiritual Authority over the devil Matthew 6:13“deliver us from evil…” bind the enemy and take every thought captive. Come against all distractions and declare the power over darkness through the “sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God” in the name of Jesus. (James 4:7 resist the devil and he will flee from you)
- Praise God in advancefor what he is about to do and say in prayer.
- WAIT on the Lord! In silent expectation, listen for God’s direction.
Micah 7:7 “But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.” Psalm 5:3 “In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly.”
Have a notetaking device and Bible ready. Be sensitive to the Holy Spirit to look up certain scriptures you may or may not know by heart. If a scripture does not seem to make sense, read the context before and after. Consider any words or pictures that come to your mind or attributes of God and how it relates specifically to what you’re praying about.
- In Faith write out what you have heard and share it as prompted by the Holy spirit. Keep asking God for clear direction. This process can take minutes or even years as we see what his word may mean. When it still isn’t clear we ponder it in our heart asking God for clarity or we ask one trusted person to join us in continued prayer, seek godly wisdom.
- Practice. You may not hear anything at first and that’s okay. Read the Word and you will learn more and more how he speaks and what he is saying and why he is saying it. Isaiah 55:10-11 “As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so it is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. “
Glory to God Matthew 6:13 KJV “Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever, amen.”
*God knows the weakness of people and pride. Only share what God shows you if you are prompted to and keep away from sinning with pride in sharing without his permission. Also, he knows our susceptibility to misunderstanding or being deceived, but we often are blinded to it and there is dangers in this process of hearing God if you are in any way not submitted to the Holy Spirit and not grounded in the Word of God. The Word of God is the way God speaks and any other means of hearing from God will always be in alignment with his word! You are always under submission to spiritual authority. If someone is sharing a “word” they say is from God and is not submitted to a spiritual authority beware.
Inspired by Joy Dawson, Larry Lee and Bill Shuler